About the project
Autism Swim is the only certifying body in the world specific to autism and aquatics. Autism Swim is the only organisation in the world targeting water safety and swimming for those with other abilities, by working directly with the individuals themselves, their parents, aquatic professionals and the wider community.
Our mission saves lives.
We are largely reliant on the generosity of others to support us on our mission of inclusion, fun and safety for everyone. With the water being such an iconic part of Australia's culture, it is essential that all Australians are taught how to be water safe and how to swim. Individuals with other abilities need to be taught this in a way that is conducive to their needs, and this is where Autism Swim comes in!
What do we do?
- We work with aquatic professionals, providing them with training, resources and support to be inclusive and to teach in ways that are conducive to everyone's needs
- We work with parents, providing them with vital wandering and drowning prevention education and support
- We run specialised programs such as modified nippers and surf education
- We run community education initiatives on how to keep vulnerable people safe around the water
- We are soon to launch a water safety App for individuals with other abilities, all over the world. This will be the first of its kind.
Our fundraising objectives include:
- Increasing the amount of aquatic professionals qualified to teach those with other abilities, by offering scholarships. This in turn would lead to thousands more individuals receiving the support that they need in and around the water
- Covering some of the associated costs with our modified nippers and surf education programs
- Running more community awareness campaigns
- Purchasing much-needed equipment
- Providing more wandering and drowning prevention support to parents
- Developing a worldwide surfing teacher certification for those with ASD and other abilities
Through our fundraising partnership with the Australian Sports Foundation, donations to this campaign are now tax-deductible.
We believe every child has the right to survive and thrive in the water, and we hope that you do too!
Please show your support by donating today!