As the home of one of the earliest seaside links courses in Australia, the Barwon Heads Golf Club has an important story to tell in the nation’s golfing history. In preparation for our Clubhouse centenary in 2024, we are aiming to revitalise our existing Archive Museum to give members, visitors and researchers alike greater access to and engagement with our many historical records and our significant collection of golfing artefacts and memorabilia.
The archive currently holds hundreds of items, a selection of which are on display in the clubhouse.
The Archival Project will enhance the existing Museum Archives by:
· Establishing a new, digital archival system for easy retrieval and electronic usage
· Employing a professional archivist (part-time) to plan, advise on and oversee the implementation of the new archival system. The archivist will also review the existing collection and provide a management and curatorial plan for the future. The Club’s Redevelopment Master Plan envisages an expanded museum area.
Founded in 1907 and at its present site since the early 1920s, The Barwon Heads Golf Club on Victoria’s Bellarine Peninsula was Australia’s first ‘country club’, providing a seaside retreat for many of the families of the prosperous Western District, the Riverina and Geelong. Thanks to the energy and vision of its founders, who desired not only a world-class links course but also comfortable accommodation, the Clubhouse is one of the best examples of American Arts & Crafts design in the country.
We invite members to make a tax-deductible donation to this important initiative via the Australian Sports Foundation. The link to the appropriate donation webpage at the Australian Sports Foundation is below.
Assets of the Future Fund remain the property of the Club, and all donations are kept in a separate bank account and can only be used for the Archives Project.