About the project
Australian’s consider sport as part of the fabric of Australian life and the benefits of sport participation in Australia are vast. Participation in sport helps to build communities through social inclusion and a sense of connection. It helps to bind families through shared experiences and achievements and can help address anti-social behaviour through teamwork and education.
The reality of Australian life is more sobering;
The Touch Football Foundation (TFF) is the fundraising arm of Touch Football Australia (TFA) and has been established to reverse the above trends by providing opportunities for 1 million Australians to become fit and active and engage with their local communities using Touch Football as a vehicle for good. Touch Football is a fun, safe sport that anybody can play regardless of age, gender, fitness/ability level and social demographic. Your support will help provide opportunities for Australian’s to participate and the TFF to fund affiliate targeted growth programs and initiatives across Australia and strategic priorities of TFA that strive to achieve the following benefits to 1 million Australian’s and their communities:
- Over 600,000 children in Australia do not have the opportunity to participate in sport due to cost barriers
- On average girls have 1.3 million fewer opportunities to play sports than boys due to access, social stigma and poor experiences
- 63% of Australian adults are overweight or obese
- 27% or one in four Aussie kids are overweight or obese
- Obesity is a major precursor to cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and numerous other health ailments that costs Australian society over $58b annually.
- Provide equal opportunities for boys and girls to participate in sport in an inclusive, safe and rewarding environment.
- Reduce and/or lower the cost to Australian’s especially children to participate in sport
- Increase the “social capital”, in communities which is the beneﬁcial effects on social cohesion, educational outcomes for young people, and the positive impacts on physical and mental wellbeing which ﬂow from participation in organised sport. (This is particularly important in regional areas, where it has always been one of the main cohesive elements that draw people together).
- Increased opportunities for social engagement; creating awareness and acceptance of differences between individuals and communities.
- Provide opportunities for Children to participate in sport which in addition to the health and social benefits will improve their academic success as research suggests, children who are engaged in sport and recreation do better academically, are more likely to enjoy school and even complete their homework.
- Regular physical activity has been shown to facilitate better stress management, alleviate depression and anxiety, strengthen self-esteem, enhance mood and boost mental alertness. Additionally, it provides social beneﬁts through increased social interaction and integration.
- Improving Australian’s health through participation provides clear beneﬁts in the ﬁve Australian national health priorities: Promoting mental health, Cardiovascular disease prevention, Diabetes prevention and control, Primary prevention of some cancers and Injury prevention.
Together we are one in a million and can make a real difference.
Your tax deductible support of the Touch Football Foundation is greatly appreciated!
For more information on making a donation or registering your interest in upcoming events, please contact
TFA Partner Services and Sponsorship Manager, Tim Wyld at email@example.com or 02 6212 2800.